March 16, 2015

March Bag of the Month...The Campfire Messenger Bag






I finally got to make the March Bag from the Bag of the Month Club and I love it.  This pattern is from Anna Graham of Noodlehead.  It gave me the opportunity to use two more of the fabrics I bought at Norwalk Fabric Outlet.  I went with the brown with blue dots and the blue with brown dots.



The bag actually uses snaps and tabs as a closure but I chose to use thumb catches instead.  I love the look of them.  This bag measures 9.5" x 11.5" x 2.5".  It is a perfect size for me.  It also has an adjustable strap and so can be used as a shoulder bag or a crossbody bag.  I like that, too.


Under the flap, are two large pleated pockets and a zippered pocket.  These pockets are perfect for sunglasses, phone, etc.


The back of the bag has a slip pocket that is nice and deep.  This pocket is great for your phone, too if you want it more convenient so you don't have to open the flap to get at it.



The top of the bag is closed by a recessed zipper and there are two more slip pockets inside.

I love the look of the binding on this bag as the trim.  I don't normally like to do binding but this was relatively painless.

This bag went together rather easily and I love the professional look of it.  There may be more of these bags in my future.  Now I just have to wait until April 1st for the next bag pattern to show up in my mailbox.

17 comments:

  1. It looks great, Marilyn! The thumb catches really look sharp on it. You picked a great fabric combination, too.

    I'm in the process of cutting out mine(I'm glad there's still a bit of March left!); did you go with the Soft and Stable or choose to do the fleece for the stabilizer? I'm still deciding...

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krista. I used fleece for this bag. My outside fabric already had enough body. I added fleece to the flap as well.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great bag! Love your thumb catches idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The fabric I used is heavier and more dense than it looks. I had trouble getting the snaps to get through the multiples layers of this fabric. Besides, I love the look of thumb catches.

      Delete
  3. I like the thumb catches better than the tab/snaps as the snaps seem a bit too cumbersome to get open. I probably won't make this bag as I don't need it. I did just finish another carpet bag that I am giving to my daughter. I love your brown/blue polka dots. Brown and blue or green and blue together is my daughter's favorite combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daryl. I worried more about getting the snaps closed than opening them. I love the look of thumb catches, too.

      Delete
  4. You know what i am going to say Marilyn...I Love it !!!
    I also was thinking of using thumb snaps...glad you did now i know I like the look better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. I really like the look, too. I was going to use snaps but the fabric was too dense and they would not go in right. I switched to thumb latches and like it better. A happy accident!

      Delete
  5. So beautiful! Using those two fabrics was a great decision. You managed to make it look great as usual. Brown and light blue or pink are great combos. I'm working on mine right now. I'm going to use Thermolam on the main pieces, gusset and flap as the flap is going to be out of quilting weight fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your bag. By the way I have this fabric in brown with pink dots and pink with brown dots.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this bag! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great bag - as usual. Love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! I'm new here and would very much like the pattern for this messenger bag! How can it be obtained?
    Thanks so much, in advance!

    ReplyDelete