May 30, 2014

The New Free Brookfield Bag From Sara at Sew Sweetness






Well, I jumped on this one.  I continually look for smaller bags to make, as some of you know, so when this bag came out a couple of days ago, I had to stop what I was doing and make it.  I was not disappointed.  The bag is a new, free pattern from Sara of Sew Sweetness called the Brookfield Bag.  I cut it out with fabric from my stash (and the great red faux leather that I am going to use up quickly if I don't watch out) the night the pattern came out and I completed it the next day.



The bag is closed with a flap and a turn lock but there are directions for using a magnetic snap instead.  I love this turquoise fabric with the red poppies.  I have had it for awhile and love how it goes with that red faux leather that I recently bought.  I used that faux leather for the top and corner trim pieces, the straps, and for the piping that goes down the side and bottom of the bag.



The back of the bag has the matching trim from the front.



The inside of the bag has two large elasticized pockets that are divided in half for a total of four pockets.


I really enjoyed making this one and I will make more.  It is the perfect size for those looking for a smaller bag (11" wide, 8" tall and 2" deep).

20 comments:

  1. Wow you are speedy Marilyn! I am glad you took photos of the inside and the back of the bag too. Sometimes there just aren't enough photos for me to know how the bag, especially inside so that I know what fabrics to choose. My feelings are the more photos the better. Love how your bag turned out. I just started working on a bag I am testing for Janelle. So I will be busy with that one this weekend. Have a great weekend Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daryl. The bag went together pretty quickly, but I did have an entire day of sewing yesterday. I'm testing for Janelle, too. Deciding on the fabric as we speak.

      Delete
  2. I downloaded the pattern the minute Sara offered the pattern but since I am working on a couple of Zip and Go bags by Erin, I put it aside. Guess I will have to find a little extra time and make one of these! I love the elasticized pockets. Your fabric choices are great and I love the red faux leather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. Love the Zip and Go Bags, too. They are one of my faves.

      Delete
  3. Great job! The fabric and faux leather look really well together. The pictures show everything very well too. And you did worked fast. I just got back home after being away for more than a month and I have to make a list of my next bags to do. I bought some fabric on my trip that I'll show soon on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Norma. Welcome home. Hope you had a fulflling time with your family and that your sister is doing OK. Look forward to seeing your fabric "souvenirs"!

      Delete
  4. My word you are quick!!!! Turned out great love how well the poppy fabric and pleather match. I downloaded it straight away but I've got too much to do at the moment. As usual !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have too much to do also but I have people looking for smaller bags. Thought I would do a bag to show.

      Delete
  5. I agree with everyone..your super speedy !! Looks great and you know I live the red pleather 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. I love the red pleather, too. The outlet only had one yard left. Hoping to find it somewhere else.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. It is a bag I will make again. Great for someone who loves a smaller bag.

      Delete
  7. It turned out great! I also like the red pleather with the fabric you chose. I would love to make this one, too. So many great bag patterns, and I am trying to fit them all in (and it's not really possible!). The size is a big plus, though.

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krista. I think the size of this bag is great, too. It seems like most patterns are very large. Sometimes a girl needs a smaller bag!


      Delete
  8. Your bag is beautiful! Wish i could get mine out that fast. Could you tell me the name of the fabric? I'd like to do February Bag of The Month in that print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gina. You are a no reply commenter so I hope you see the answer to your question here. I have had this fabric in my stash for awhile. It is called Birdhouse Poppies by Heidi Grace for JoAnn Fabrics. It is no longer in stock as far as I can tell. Sorry, it is a beautiful, great quality fabric.

      Delete
    2. That's to bad, it's really pretty.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on being featured on She Can Sew! You bag looks lovely. I really love your Poppy fabric, it's truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. I held on to that fabric for awhile before I used it. When I got the red faux leather, I knew I had to use them together.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete