May 25, 2014

Lighthouse Convertible Bag






Since my other Bag of the Month Club Convertible Bag sold quickly, I decided I wanted to make another one.  This is a fun bag from Samantha from At Home With Mrs. H that I like because it is fun to make and looks great when completed.  This bag is large enough to carry an Ipad or just to use as your regular handbag.  It is convertible because the strap can be removed, threaded through the fabric tunnel on the back of the bag and clipped to the back, bottom D rings to wear as a backpack.  The adjustible strap allows you to wear it as a cross body or as a shoulder bag.  So many options in one bag.

I have had this lighthouse fabric for awhile.  It reminds me of the summers we used to boat and so many driving vacations where seeing the various lighthouses on our route was a must.  The reddish faux leather is one of the fabrics I bought last weekend when I went to the upholstery and drapery fabric outlet.  I bought the last yard they had.  It was great to work with and I would have gotten more if they would have had it.  The prices are great but selection and yardages always vary and I realize if I like it, I should buy what I think I will use over time because chances are others will like it too.  Like the shiny black quilted fabric that I went for that they no longer have!

Anyway, back to the bag.



It was fun looking at all of the lighthouses on this fabric to see which ones I have been to.  There are even two that are within a couple of hours of my house...Marblehead, OH and Old Fairport Harbor, OH, both of them on one of the Great Lakes, Lake Erie.  I put them on the front of the bag.  They are side by side on the bottom left corner of the purse flap.  One is white and the other is tan.

The flap covers the faux leather pocket and is fastened with a tongue latch.


The back of the bag has an outer zippered pocket and the hardware to turn it into a backpack.  (See the Statue of Liberty partially hidden under the fabric tunnel above the zipper?) Yes, she is considered a lighthouse!  (Didn't know you would get a geography lesson, too, did you???)

The inside of the bag has a slip pocket on one side and a zippered pocket on the other.


The last time I made this bag I didn't add the backpack hardware.  This time, I decided I would, to give it more versatility.  This is what it looks like with the strap threaded through the fabric tunnel and clipped on the bottom D rings.



I will definitely keep making this bag.  I love it!

18 comments:

  1. I love your bag. The fabric is so fun. I have the same problem with fabric. If I see something I like I usually buy extra becasue I can guarantee that if I need more later they won't have it. Seems like we're both busy you with bags and me with wallets LOLLL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I might have time for one more before we get Christine's bag. What do you think??


      Delete
  2. I really like what you've done with this bag! I didn't sign up for the Bag of the Month club-- (I know--I must have been the only one!)and I have been waiting and waiting for this pattern to be released as an individual pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this bag! I live a bit northwest from you, so I've seen some of those lighthouses--particularly the solid red ones! This is one of my favorite designs from the Bag of the Month Club collection (and they are all GREAT). I didn't join the club, so I'm looking forward to when this pattern will be released as in individual pattern!

    I bet you won't keep this one for long! :)
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krista. You will love this pattern. It won't be too long before you can get it. It goes together really nicely.

      Delete
  4. Great fabric choices.
    I couldn't quite see what you used for your straps - webbing or your red faux leather?
    Looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. The straps are the red faux leather to match the front pocket and tunnel. The color of the straps on the last picture is the most accurate.

      Delete
  5. I discovered a love for lighthouses a few years ago while travelling in the Maritimes region of Canada. Great fabric and great job on the bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rochelle. It is hard not to love lighthouses.

      Delete
  6. What a versatile bag. Love the fact that you can turn it into a backpack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous bag! Amazing craftsmanship. I'd love to see you join us at Inspire Us Thursday on www.theinspiredwren.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ren and thanks for the invite. I'll check it out.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for linking this post to my Weekend Link Party Marilyn because I somehow missed this post when you first posted it. I love the fabric on your bag. I made 2 of these bags using the same fabrics because I gave one to my mom. I didn't make either to convert to a backpack because I knew neither me or mom would wear ours that way. But I love it just as a cross-body bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't make my first one with the backpack straps but thought others may like it with them on.

      Delete
  9. Super cute and versatile bag! I love it! Gorgeous fabric too!
    Have a fabulous weekend!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana. I love this bag, too. It is the second one I have made and look forward to making it again. It goes togewther very nicely.

      Delete
  10. do you sell these bags what is the price and can I get it without the back pack straps lighthouse collector

    ReplyDelete