May 22, 2014

Eloise Wallet Out Of A Fabric Swatch






Here is one more fabric swatch  project.  I have so many more up my sleeves but I need to get back to some big bags as most of my Bags of the Month have been sold.  I'll work with fabric swatches again soon.

I have looked at the Eloise Wallet pattern from Swoon Patterns for awhile and decided it was time to tackle it.  I decided to use a fabric swatch for this wallet but that probably wasn't my best choice.  A quilting cotton fabric would have been a better choice because this wallet gets very thick and difficult to work with toward the end.  More about that later.

What I love about this pattern is the extra "wallet" attached to the outside of the wallet.  This allows easy access to the cards and money that you use most often.  It is closed with a magnetic snap.



When opened, this attachment provides room for 10 cards and paper money.



 
And behind this attachment is a pocket that is large enough to hold my cell phone even in its case.




The main part of the wallet is accessed through the large zipper opening.



The inside of this wallet has room for 8 more cards (that's 18 total) and two pocket openings for bills or checkbook.  There is also a zippered pocket for other necessaries (coins, lip gloss, etc).

On the back of the wallet, I highlighted my favorite part of the fabric swatch.



This is a wallet pattern that is large and holds a lot.  I like the pattern but I will make some changes with my fabric and interfacing selections.  As I mentioned before, quilting cottons would work best for this.  There is a layer of Peltex on the body of this wallet that makes it stiff and difficult to turn inside out.  A heavier fabric makes it even more difficult.  I also would change the interfacing.  The pattern calls for craft fuse, which I used.  I have used it in a couple of bags so far and I don't like the stiffness it brings to the fabric especially when you already have a layer of peltex.  I will change it next time to my favorite interfacing, a woven fusible interfacing, Pellon Shape Flex SF101.  With these changes , I think I will love the results even more.

11 comments:

  1. Great work! It looks awesome. I have this pattern and tried to make a wallet but I had some trouble because I was short on time. I have to fix it and try again. I'm with you about the interfacings. I've had good results with SF101 and Peltex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit of a challenge and I am anxious to see how changing the fabric and interfacings help. I have a few things to make before I go back to it. Good to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. Love this wallet and even better is that you're using you swatches. I'm making a wallet today. Hoping I can finish it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love working on smaller pieces after big bags. Now I'm ready to do a bigger bag. I think it will be another Convertible bag but with all of the pieces to make it convertible because I didn't do that the first time.

      Delete
  3. What a great way to use up your swatches of fabrics. Such a nice and roomy wallet too. I'm sure it will be easier to make in quilting cottons, but it seemed to work well using this fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The changes sound like a good idea, I don't like that craft fuse either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mara. I had not used the craft fuse until a few weeks ago. I just don't like the feel of the quilting cotton after it is applied. I'm sure there are some great uses for it but this is not one of them.

      Delete
  5. Alot of impact in a small piece, love the scrappy and details, hopping over from PM linky party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Trying to find more things I can do with these swatches since I keep "inheriting" them.

      Delete
  6. This pattern has been discontinued and I would LOVE to make this for myself. Is there any way I could buy the pattern from you. Do you know who the maker is....I would contact them to buy from them also.

    ReplyDelete