April 3, 2014

April Bag of the Month --- Midtown Messenger






Well, last month I waited until the very end of the month to finish my March bag of the month.  I have a busy April so I couldn't let that happen again.  I finished my April bag of the month today.




The Midtown Messenger bag is from Betz White.  The outer bag has a large slip pocket in the back and a divided slip pocket in the front.  The front is closed by 2 tuck catches on a large flap closure.  Under the flap, the inside of the bag has a recessed zipper closure.





She used waxed canvas as the bottom of her bag but I decided to use a suedelike upholstery fabric that I had on hand as well as a grey and cream zebra print home dec fabric.  Although I love the look and the weight of these, I had a hard time sewing through several layers of the upholstery fabric for the straps.  Next time I will remember my sewing machine's limits.  It growled at me several times but was not injured during the making of this bag!



This bag has a padded inside pocket for a tablet.  This was a fun bag to make and I will definitely make more when things slow down.

10 comments:

  1. Oh I feel so bad now. That's three bags I have to catch up on now. I love yours, you've done an excellent job as usual. I used to have the same problem with so many layers so I invested in an industrial sewing machine, it was the best thing I've ever bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. This bag went together pretty easily and I love the look. Hopefully someday I will get an industrial machine. It's on my wish list. Until then, I need to stay away from fabric that is this thick. I will make this one again.


      Delete
  2. Marilyn great looking bag! I just finished mine yesterday and I need to take photos and get it posted too. Feels good to get it finished and in record time, huh? I sew with a semi-industrial machine a Brother 1500s. There are other similar machines made by other companies too. You can buy the Brother for around $800, so it's not as pricey as an industrial and sews like a home sewing machine but with more power. The 1500 in the name is how fast it sews 1500rpm, which is fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Daryl. I will have to look into your machine. I want one I can use and not be afraid of. The machine I use now is a Brother and I like it .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oohh. you're fast! Looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have a busy month of April and didn't want to leave it until the end of the month like I did last month's bag.


      Delete
  5. I can't believe you already have the bag finished !! Don't you sleep !! LOL
    I haven't even picked out my fabric :-0
    Your look great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. Don't give me too much credit, just finished my March bag a few days before!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete