March 18, 2014

Another Frog Bag





Who knew when my sister picked the frog fabric for her lunch bag that it would be so popular.  Before I went on vacation, I got an email from a customer who had seen another "frog bag" that I had made for a customer who collects frog things and thought it would be a great birthday gift for her mother who also collects frog things.  Who knew so many people loved frogs??

She wanted a cross body bag that was not too large.  I chose a medium Messenger Bag from michellepatterns.com.  I had purchased the Messenger Bag pattern from her and had made several of these larger messengers.  I was looking for a smaller sized bag and found that she also sells just the pattern pieces for 2 additional sizes (medium and small).  Since I already had the original pattern, I bought the additional pattern pieces for these  2 sizes.  I love the medium and small sized bags much better than the original.  The shape is an elongated rectangle that is a little wider at the bottom than at the top rather than a square like the original pattern.  This bag goes together easily and looks great.  I changed the closure to accomodate hardware that I had and I usually use this combination....





Since this bag was going to an older woman, I thought a twist lock might be easier to open, so I changed the closure to a twist lock this time...




But back to the beginning.  Here is the fabric and lining that I used...




This fabric does take some fussy cutting. The front of the bag has a couple of seams.  Here is the completed bag.  The strap is adjustable.




The back of the bag..




and the lining...

8 comments:

  1. It's so funny--there really is something about that frog fabric! Maybe it's their expressions...I'm not really a frog person myself, but I think the bag is really cute! Neat that people really like it and are requesting more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone told me that they thought it would be popular with yoga lovers but not one of the bags I have done has gone to a yoga person!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that people liked frogs. Although that frog fabric is cute. The small messenger bag is more of my test. Looks very nice. I have the regular pattern but not the other sizes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been asked to find fabric with a variety of different themes. I think it is because they can't find anything like that commercially made. Here are the published dimensions for the three sizes:
      Messenger Bag 11"wide x 10" high x 3" deep
      Medium (Size 2) 8.5" high x 8.25 at widest point x 2" deep
      Small (Size 3) 7" high x 6.75" at widest point x 1.75" deep

      Delete
  3. I saw someone in my quilt group that had that frog yoga fabric. It's cute whether you are into frogs or yoga. Marilyn I love your bag. I have made bags for my daughter and most she hasn't used. She likes small messenger style bags, so I will email her the photo of this bag and see if that's what she likes. I like the twist lock closure better too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Daryl. The small bag is perfect for the essentials. The medium holds considerably more. There is an outside pocket under the flap that is perfect for a phone and an identical one in the lining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous bags and the frog fabric is very unusual but cute. Great fussy cutting and both beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete